The Gothic quarter of Barcelona
Barcelona’s Gothic quarter is the oldest part of the city. Originally on this site stood the Roman settlement of Barcino, originated from Barcelona. Today the Gothic quarter is for tourists the most popular.
The main attraction of the Gothic quarter is considered the Barcelona Cathedral (la Catedral) with a magnificent facade in Gothic style. Inside the Cathedral there is an outdoor patio where live 13 white geese. Catalans believe that their whiteness is the embodiment of purity Saint Eulalia, which took an agonizing death at the hands of the Gentiles. Eulalia was exactly 13 years, so the geese are here too 13.
B Barcelona’s Gothic quarter is the medieval complex of buildings which for five hundred years was the residence of the Catalan monarchs. The size of the King is the center of the Gothic quarter. According to some reports, on 3 April 1493, it is the square of the Catalan king Ferdinand received Christopher Columbus after his first voyage to America.
In the XV century in the Gothic quarter buildings were erected the town hall and government of Catalonia. Later the hall was rebuilt, but retained in the end portion of the elements of Gothic decor, decorated with the emblem of Barcelona. At the entrance to city hall is a monument to Jaume I, which in the XIII century established by the city Council of Barcelona, and J. Peveler and asked to pay kalogiratou elite. Next to the city hall building is the Palace of the government of Catalonia. The statue of St. George – the patron Saint of Catalonia, adorns the Central entrance to the building. Also to the attractions of the Gothic quarter can be attributed to the wonderful orange patio, the chapel of San Jordi and the bell tower of the XVI century.
The Royal Palace was built in the XIII century as the residence for the counts of Barcelona. Later it was the seat of the Holy Tribunal.
The house Canon is the only structure that survived from the XI century. It was arranged dinners for the poor of the city, and in 1450 the house was handed over to the priest of the Cathedral. Today in the house of Canon is the residence of the President of Catalonia.
Also pay attention to the archdeacon’s House (Casa del Ardiaca), which was built on the Foundation of the building of the XII century. Nowadays there is an archive at the gate, which is a fancy mailbox, decorated with images of signs that reflect hope people get a quick response, and turtles, symbolizing the pace of delivery of letters.
In the Gothic quarter of Barcelona should visit the Museum of the sculptor Frederic Mares Museum and city history.
Your name Gothic quarter received at the beginning of the twentieth century, although the Gothic buildings can be found in any area of Barcelona. However, in this place we see a perfect harmony of architecture, so in the Gothic quarter was done a number of restoration works.
The beginning of the quarter can be designated to the Plaza Nova (New square). It is the oldest area of Barcelona, which was once the entrance to the Roman settlement “”Barsine””. It also housed the city’s main market, where even slaves were sold. Near the square are remains of the fortification wall in the form of two Roman towers. At about this same time was built and the Bishop’s Palace, located to the right of the towers. To the creation of the frieze of the outer facade had a hand Pablo Picasso. One of the three facades of the Palace overlooks the famous Bishop street, which is considered the heart of the Gothic quarter and reaches Plaza de San Jaume. Walking along this street, it is impossible not to draw attention to the lovely bridge that connects the house of the Canons with the Government Palace. This bridge was created by Hans of Rubió in 1926 and is a famous tourist attraction and the undeniable masterpiece of Gothic art. The house of the Canons is a pretty large-scale structure with non-standard layout. It was erected in the XIV century and recently restored. One of its facades overlooks Carrer Paradis, which is several medieval buildings that are open to tourists. There are also remains of the Roman temple of the II century, dedicated to Augustus in the form of four large Corinthian columns. The temple was built on top of the mountain Taber — the highest point of the Roman colony, Barcino””. Passed through a narrow lane located right off Plaza Nova on the street Carrer del Bisbe Irurita, we get to Plaza de San Felip Neri. It is a quiet and cozy area, with a small fantanchik and unpretentious building of the Church of San Felip Neri, built in the XVIII century to the square rises the building of the Museum of the History of shoes.