Gothic wells Cathedral
There are few more interesting places in the British Isles than wells — the City of springs. Willis or ed Fontes of the ancient Britons.
The walls and the moat around the Bishop’s Palace
English Bruges, where a moat still surrounds the Bishop’s Palace and, almost, everything that falls on opinion, refers to the time and manners, which disappeared during the reformation. The town grew up around the Cathedral and his world was always full of calm, Christian worldview. It was not until a summer day 1685, when the soldiers of the Duke of Monmouth was not satisfied with the stables in the nave of the Cathedral.
Wella – old English word meaning “spring, source”. Because of the large number of springs Wales got its name.
The figures of kings Edgar, Ethelbald, Ethelwolf, Egbert and
Ancient British tribes worshipped nature, many sacred sites were located near rivers, lakes and springs. One such source is still in the garden of the Bishop’s Palace wells. Judging by archaeological excavations of the land on which the Cathedral is built was inhabited in the stone age. Thanks to springs in this area are well developed agriculture and a growing population.
Around 705 ad the Saxon king of Wessex, In, he founded the Christian Church on the territory which is now occupied by monastic buildings. It was dedicated to St. Andrew. The first mention of it is in documents 766 of the year where it imenuitem “the Church around a great source of wells”.
Wells and the surrounding areas were rich, prosperous, well-populated. In the year 909, he became the center of a new diocese of Somerset, now known as the diocese of Bath and wells. The Church became a Cathedral, the seat of the Bishop.
The Cathedral was then under the management of renowned Bishop Aldhelm. Two centuries later, Somerset became a separate diocese.
The tomb of Bishop Thomas Bekynton
The first Bishop of wells was Athelm, uncle Saint. Dunstan. Later they both became Archbishops of Canterbury. Uncle was crowned king Athelstane, and nephew of king Edgar. One of the most respected bishops in the history of the Cathedral — Gizo Lotringer. He was one of those able foreigners whom Edward the Confessor drew to England. Sent with a mission from the king to the Pope, he was ordained in Rome in 1061. Gizo was the founder of the monastery in Wales.
The tomb in the North transept
From buildings of that time almost nothing was left. The existing Church was built largely in the late 12th and early 13th centuries.
Wells Cathedral was the first English Cathedral built in early English Gothic style with pointed arches. The Cathedral in Lincoln was followed by 10 years, and Salisbury is 30 years later. Early English Gothic style is present in the proportions of the building, almost equal in height and length. This style gave new wells corresponding to the epoch of the appearance, since then remaining unchanged.
The Chapel Of St. John The Baptist
The Cathedral is built of local limestone with a soft creamy color. He mined in the quarry at a distance of eight miles from the city. This stone is still used for repair of the Cathedral.
The Western section of the choir, two transept and the nave was completed and consecrated in 1239. The decoration of the magnificent Western façade under the supervision of Bishop Jocelyn continued to approximately 1260. During his episcopate were built not only the Western facade of the Cathedral but also the Bishop’s Palace, a choristers school, grammar school, hospital for travellers, and the castle chapel in Wookey, two miles from wells.
The Western facade of the Cathedral is a masterpiece of English Gothic style, designed by Thomas Noreason. It is flanked with two towers, the upper parts of which are made in Perpendicular Gothic style, and contain nine rows are filled with sculptures. There are about 300, almost all in full human growth, and some up to 2.5 m in height. They depict angels, saints and prophets, the kings and Queens of England, bishops, and forty-eight biblical characters.
The statues on the Western facade
On the facade paintings of the Resurrection (about 150 figures) and the last judgment. Nowadays it is hard to imagine the beauty of the Cathedral in the middle ages. The figures were covered with silver and gold, scarlet, purple and blue. It must be like a page from a magnificent medieval books.
The Cathedral was painted not only outside but also inside. On the balance of the paint in the crevices see how bright it was colored interior. Chief Mason of the nave was Adam Locke, a gifted sculptor widely known at the time. At the pillars of the nave turned into the Avenue of stone trees, covered with dense foliage at the top.